Are you there Iggy?
It's me - Grit.
The rumours of coalitions didn't end with your very forceful statement to the otherwise. How to fight this?
1) Once again rule out a merger - ABSOLUTELY
2) Laugh about the "anonymous party insiders"
3) Walk over to Jack's office (yes, YOU walk over to Jack) and work out a "non-aggression pact" for Parliament AND the election ahead. Come out with a strong joint press conference indicating that cooperation between parties is essentail to Canada and Canadians. Let Jack do a LOT of the talking. Indicate again that there will be no merger between the two proud parties, but that we need to rise above the current state of the House (created by Harper) and work for the MAJORITY of Canadians who would like to see him removed.
4) If it's about not having enough funds to fight an election right now, or every two years, introduce a private members bill that would support a spending cap and a ban on "off-season/non-election" advertising. This is CRUCIAL to our democracy. There will never be a level playing field if Conservative interest groups continue to fuel that attack ad machine.
5) Get out to Kelowna BC for the "Stock Car Experience", where - instead of sticking a logo on a CASCAR car, you can actually pilot a real stock car, and partake in your favorite sport. A real spectacle for ordinary Canadians, and a great way to divert from all this talk. More policy news conferences will get you nowhere at this point. You need to pull the "piano trick". Now.